Nelson

Brightwell Baldwin
OX49 5NP
Telephone(01491) 612497
Real AleReal FireQuiet PubFamily FriendlyGardenLunchtime MealsEvening MealsParkingRestaurant
Opening times: 12-3, 6-11; 12-3, 6-10.30 Sun
Regular beers: Rebellion IPA

The building dates from the 17C and was a pub in Nelson's day changing its name from the Admiral Nelson to the Lord Nelson when the naval hero was made a peer in 1797. It is situated in a beautiful quiet village directly opposite a 14th century church which was a mixed blessing since the church had the pub closed in 1905 and it did not reopen until 1971. In its present form the Lord Nelson has retained the low beams and intimate alcoves that befit its age; an impressive paved garden has been added that is very popular in the summer. The food is excellent.