Here is the latest news about pubs and breweries in the branch area.
- Branch Pub of the Year for 2019 Revealed
Sunday 24 March 2019
South Oxfordshire CAMRA's Pub of the Year for 2019 is the Fleur de Lys in East Hagbourne. The picture shows Ruth and Darren Sargison of the Fleur receiving the award from SOX Chairman David Cooper. The presentation was made last Wednesday 20th March in a packed pub, where, as well as hosting the CAMRA Award presentation (David Cooper, Paul Dixon, Bob Smith, Graham Hards, Mark Lewthwaite, Barry Davis, Vaughan Machin were in attendance from the Branch), Ruth & Darren were also running a folk music evening, a crib league match and a birthday party or two – in addition to serving six ales all in superb condition! Congratulations to you both!
- Branch Pub and Brewery News (February 2019)
Tuesday 26 February 2019
- Residents of Crays Pond are celebrating a notable victory in a 5½ year campaign to recover their village pub, the White Lion, following success in the High Court on Thursday 21st February 2019. The judgement is the culmination of over five years of campaigning by the Crays Pond Action Group. South Oxfordshire District Council also deserve a lot of credit for pursuing this and we are grateful for their persistence. We hope that the village will be able to buy the White Lion and turn it back into the thriving community hub it once was. To find out more, download the following news article Persistence Rewarded - White Lion, Crays Pond, written by our Branch Chairman, David Cooper, for the next issue of What's Brewing.
- Sadly Patrick and Lucy Marples will not be renewing their tenancy of the Bear at Home when it expires at the end of March. We are also aware that the pub’s ACV expires at the end of March, so it is important that it is renewed. Our chairman, David Cooper, will be contacting North Moreton Parish council to check whether the intention is to renew the ACV.
- The Kidmore End Parish Council is in the process of renewing the ACV for the Reformation.
- The Plowden Arms closed on New Year’s Day – it is uncertain why.
- The Little Angel is currently closed for refurbishment, reopening in mid-March
- Philsters Ales, Beehive Brewery has finally found a home for its new enlarged brewing kit.
- Branch Pub of the Season for Winter revealed
Friday 18 January 2019
Congratulations to Raymond and Suzanne Sexton, at The Red Lion, Chalgrove who are pictured here with Branch Chairman, David Cooper presenting them with our Winter Pub of the Season award.
- Branch Pub and Brewery News (December 2018)
Monday 17 December 2018
- Unfortunately having reported last month that The Reformation had reopened, it is now once again closed.
- Renovation work continues on The Crown, South Moreton. Reopening is still planned for February 2019.
- The Crown, Stadhampton may have reopened.
- With particularly festive appropriateness, the third Crown in the Branch News this month - The Crown in Benson has a new manager.
- Bell Street Brewery has two new seasonal beers. November: Sax on Fire, and December: Very Merry at 6%. 13 firkins have been brewed.